Friday 27 August 2010

Getting ready for the Winter


So, I thought; no time for watching the butterflies, I'd better get on with cutting up those logs that were left by a friend in December as a Christmas present. We've already been accused of stealing wood and there's a bit of an Autumn feel about the place - lots of blackberries, etc.


Having admired the clematis armandii which is flowering yet again...






I set up the Workmate and got out the chainsaw.


Over the next couple of hours, I made reasonable progress but, by lunchtime, my back was aching.


I can't understand how my friend managed to lift these logs - he's 80 years old! He brought them over in his truck one day while we were out and lifted them all off (having presumably lifted them on) and stacked them fairly neatly in a corner before adorning them with a bit of tinsel and disappearing. I had real difficulty even lifting them onto the Workmate and maneouvering them around. So, In the end I managed about half; the rest are waiting for me to tackle tomorrow - on my birthday!
Still, when I went out later on, I felt some progress had been made and the cuts logs pile had grown considerably. it looks like we might get away with not buying any logs this Winter.


Meanwhile, the sky was turning pink and gold...


... and there was just enough light to take a couple of pictures of our eryngium agavifolium - spectacular in the gathering gloom.

The village settled down to its golden sky - Winter's on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment