Thursday 30 April 2009

Hail, Rain and Floods

Hail, Rain and Floods

What a long time since the last entry - busy busy busy!

Yesterday was a pretty awful day weather-wise, but nothing prepared me for the storm on the way home. At first, i thought the white specks were blossom petals brought down by the wind, but as I drove on, I realised that they were hailstones.



Not only that, but the road was about a foot deep in water in places. I stopped and got out to take a couple of pictures and got drenched by some idiot speeding through the flood in the certain knowledge that this would get him past the worst. It didn't and the water got into his engine and the whole thing ground to a halt. I didn't wait to see him climb out into the flooded road to push his car out of the way; I just imagined it as I drove off. Schadenfreude - wonderful word - wonderful feeling! (...largely unanticipated delight in the suffering of another which is cognized as trivial and/or appropriate. Theodor Adorno)






The amazing thing was that as soon as I passed under the flooded bridge into Blaby, there was no sign of hailstones, floods or even rain. When I got home (about 2 miles away) everything was bone dry. I'm glad I took the time to fit up the automatic irrigation system for all the flower pots. It turned out to be a pleasant evening, if a bit cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment