Friday 16 January 2009

Non conformism and bad puns

What is it about Tabloid papers and non-conformist chapels and bad puns?


This one is in the grounds of our hexagonal Victorian Baptist chapel, but others I've seen recently, are: "Fight Truth Decay", "Fancy a new look? Get your faith lifted" and, maybe one of the worst: "Seven days without prayer makes one weak". (Give me strength!)

The only one I liked was on a Salvation Army chapel opposite the Imperial Hotel (a notorious drinking dive - not imperial at all) which said "Thirsting after righteousness".

Personally, I'd like to give a vote for "There's probably no god, so stop worrying and enjoy your life." - Yes, I know it's never going to appear on a wayside pulpit, but I'm not a great one for pulpits. AND... I am so waiting for the court case that Christian Voice is bringing against these notices on the basis that they are UNTRUTHFUL. I intend printing multiple copies of their evidence!



While I'm writing about the Baptist Chapel, I wondered why, when the windows are rather beautiful, those inside can't see them because the blinds are drawn.

But, this morning, they've lifted them just a little. Some sort of revelation, I presume.




No comments:

Post a Comment